Thursday, July 11, 2013

Support Systems


I used to be a yo-yo dieter.  I’d drop a few pounds, and gain them back.  I’d buy books on dieting, thinking that it would help me get through it, and after a couple of days I’d give up and go back to eating the drive-thru and take-out I had always been eating.  I’d tell everyone I was dieting, and then eat in secret because I was embarrassed that only after a few days I’d given up.  I didn’t want to be a disappointment.


My diet plan in the past

What I lacked on each of those attempts was a proper support system.  All the other times I had people who were happy for me, but they didn’t really know what I was going through.  I’d want to have conversations about certain diet restrictions, or certain plans, or techniques on losing weight, and I could practically see their eyes glaze over when I started talking, they weren’t interested in it.


3FC


 When I had hit that rock bottom moment where I knew I had to make a choice, one of the first things I did was seek support.  I knew this time was different, I could feel it, and I knew I’d need to talk to someone who could truly relate to my experiences.  I Found 3FC (3fatchicks.com), and started browsing their forums.  It took me a week before I actually signed up with the website, but I will say it is one of the best website I’ve ever been to.

I consider the forums to be a warm hug, a cheering squad, and a kick in the pants.  If you’re frustrated, they listen and offer any advice they may have.  If you’ve hit a milestone, big or small, they are going to cheer you on and celebrate with you.  And when you are in need of motivation, they will remind you of why you started this journey, and keep you moving forward. 

While the people who post there are mostly female, there are several men who are just as active, and it’s amazing to see their transformation, too.  When I’m feeling down, I check out the Goal and Mini-Goal sections, and see the stories of people who have lost the weight and are keeping it off!  When I have questions, I can post them and others who are just like me will tell me what’s worked for them.  I honestly would not have gotten as far as I have, and stayed on track this entire time, without this forum.

If you’ve come to my blog from that site, I just want to say thank you!  You all motivate me to keep moving forward!  I can’t wait to post in the Goal Forum, and be one of those people that can inspire others!

My Guild
My baby mage sporting the guild crest on her chest!

In World of Warcraft, I’ve been lucky enough to be a member of the same guild for many years now.  People have come and gone, but there’s a core group of people who I consider to be real friends, and when I told them I was changing my lifestyle and dieting, they were completely supportive, and wanted to help. 

My Guild Leader gave me so much advice, and without her help I wouldn’t have tried some of the things I’m doing now (weights, for example…I always hated the idea of weights but her offer to show me some videos stuck in my mind lol, and now I’m doing 10 minutes every day!).  My friends have been my cheering squad, and it’s nice to know they’ve got my back.  If you guys are reading this, just know I can’t do this without you! 

My Friends and Family

What can I say…these guys see me, can see that I’m changing my lifestyle, and they are happy for me.  Several of my friends, including my fiancé, are also trying to change their lifestyles and I couldn’t be more proud and happy for them, as well!  My parents can see that I’m losing the weight, and I appreciate their efforts to eat things that are healthier when I’m over there!

Same with his side of the family, they are happy for mine and his work towards our lifestyle changes!  They are a bit more “tough-love”, but I do love them and I understand that their method for pushing us stems from concern.  Sometimes it’s good to get a little tough-love here and there; life isn’t always rainbows and unicorns.

But sometimes it's needed...like now, in my blog

I thought I Could Do It Alone




I admit, I chuckled
And I realized I couldn’t.  I can honestly say that I would have gone back to my old habits in no time without these support systems in place.  I’m sure there are people who don’t need the help of others, but I’m glad I realized I’m not one of those people, and have found the support I needed.  If you are thinking of changing your lifestyle, I urge you to look for someone to share it with.  Whether it be someone you know, online, weight loss meetings, etc.  Don’t be afraid to reach out to someone who can be that hug, cheering squad and kick in the pants that’s needed to make sure you reach your goal.

Food Diary for 7/10/13:

Shredded Chicken Taco w/ Cheese and Sour Cream (fiance gets 2 of them)


4 Tbls Fat Free Coffee Creamer-120 calories
1 Fat Free Whole Wheat Tortilla-130 calories
2.5 oz Skinless Chicken Breast shredded w/ pinch of taco seasoning-80 calories
1 Pinch of Fat Free Shredded Cheddar-45 calories
2Tbls Reduced Fat Sour Cream-35 calories
6.5 oz skinless chicken breast-208 calories
1oz candied walnuts-140 calories
1 WW Divine Chocolate Ice Cream Bar-110 calories
1 Dannon Light & Fit Greek Strawberry-80 calories
Total Calories-948

I walked 30 min at 2mph-117 calories

Total NET Calories-948-117=831

Grrr....I felt like I ate a lot yesterday!!  I'm still short a lot of calories, and it's starting to annoy me.  I'm thinking I may get some nuts and a measuring cup to keep on my computer desk so that I can nibble throughout the day.  Nuts are a good source of protein, and it really doesn't take much to get those calories I'm missing.

Today I'm going to see Pacific Rim, and the fiance and I are going to Red Robin for dinner. This may take me over my calories for the day, but that's okay, I've had good losses this week so far, and I think if I have a day going over my calories it won't kill me.

Music Addition

 Today's addition is I Love it by Icona Pop!  Like the lyric in it says "I don't care, I love it!", that's how I feel about this song lol!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment